There are a lot of misconceptions out there on getting a U.S. Visa
While obtaining a U.S. Visa requires some effort and preparation, you shouldn’t sweat the small details. Fact or myth: the day and time you interview will impact your Visa application. This is a #VisaMyth. Fact: Any day of the week is good to interview and Visa eligibility is about preparation, not luck.
This is just one of many myths behind applying for a U.S. Visa. Courtesy of the U.S. Consulate of Mumbai, U.S. Embassy of India, and U.S. Consulate of Chennai, here are ten commons myths when applying for a U.S. Visa.
1. There is a Limit on the Number of Visas Given Every Year
— US Consulate Mumbai (@USAndMumbai) June 18, 2017
2. You Need to Be Proficient in English
— U.S. Embassy India (@USAndIndia) March 14, 2017
3. What School You Get into Affects Whether You Get a Visa or Not
— USConsulateChennai (@USAndChennai) May 4, 2015
4. You Must Travel Abroad to Be Eligible
— U.S. Embassy India (@USAndIndia) October 20, 2015
5. Your Relatives Can Sponsor You for a Work Visa
— US Consulate Mumbai (@USAndMumbai) December 20, 2013
6. You Must Travel for a Long Time to Be Eligible
#VISAMYTH: a 2 week trip vs. 2 months means better chance for visa. FACT: visa eligibility does not depend on length of planned visit.
— US Consulate Mumbai (@USAndMumbai) November 6, 2013
7. A Mean Visa Officer = You Won’t Get Your Visa
#VISAMYTH: Reapply until you get a “nice” officer. FACT: All visa officers highly trained & base visa decisions on U.S. Immigration Law.
— US Consulate Mumbai (@USAndMumbai) November 8, 2012
8. You Must Dress up for Your Interview
— U.S. Embassy India (@USAndIndia) September 27, 2016
9. Thursday & Friday Are the Best Days for Your Interview
• #VISAMYTH: Thursday & Friday are lucky days to schedule. FACT: all days are good days to interview; visa eligibility not a matter of luck!
— US Consulate Mumbai (@USAndMumbai) September 19, 2013
10. You Must Show up Hours Before Your Visa Interview
#VisaMyth: Showing up hours before my visa interview will get me visa faster. Fact: Just arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled time
— U.S. Embassy India (@USAndIndia) November 10, 2015
What are some other Visa myths that you have heard of? Let us know by tweeting @SelfScore with #VisaMyth.